Ya'll, I have got to share this simple, sort of interesting combo and yummy recipe we made this week. There has been a lot of versions of this floating around and I have to admit I haven't used brussels in ANY of my recipes to date so I was super excited to have them. The taste of this recipe just screams Fall and despite the smell of reheating brussels (you know, like cabbage ha!) it keeps well for a couple days. Also, it meets Paleo standards! We were pleasantly surprised with this dish. Hubby accidentally added a little more cinnamon and interestingly enough, it made it even better! Try it and let me know what ya'll think!
|The only pic I snapped! I scaled down the recipe fyi|
Chicken, Apple, Sweet Potato, and Brussels Sprouts Skillet
With sweet potatoes, apples, Brussels sprouts and bacon, this healthy Paleo chicken skillet is packed with flavor and delivers every food group in one pan!
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium high, until hot and shimmering. Add the chicken, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and black pepper. Cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium low. Add the chopped bacon and cook until crisp and brown and the fat has rendered, about 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate (I simply laid another paper towel on top of the plate with the chicken, then stacked the bacon on that). Discard all but 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon fat from the pan.
- Increase skillet heat back to medium high. Add Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, onion, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender and the onions are beginning to look translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the apples, garlic, thyme, and cinnamon. Cook 30 seconds, then pour in 1/2 cup of the broth. Bring to a boil and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and remaining 1/2 cup broth. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in reserved bacon and serve warm.