Sunday, May 3, 2015

Anderson's Birth Story


Hey Ya'll! I've missed you but still think I'll stay disconnected for a bit to savor these moments and days with my little love bug - life has changed so drastically and it's almost hard to imagine life before Miss Andi now! I'm stopping by to tell ya'll the story of how she came into the world and I promise it's not a long one but there will be a picture overload (I mean, they don't call me the paparazzi for nothing and I've only taken about 300 thus far...and she's only 2 weeks old..ok it's sort of long)


Saturday, April 11th - 6:00pm

We head to Lowe's in search of some home items and pricing for some privacy trees and seriously end up walking the perimeter of that store 5 times until I was resting on those giant cart things and hubby was asking if I was ok... (I'm thinking this triggered labor haha!) Afterward we went and had a late dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant (yup, reallllly funny on the delivery table the next day... sorry not sorry, we're getting real today!) After stuffing my face we headed home and caught up on some Bates Motel via the DVR and I assembled some last minute toys and her play mat before we hit the sheets around 11 or 12... totally normal!

 Sunday April 12th 2015 - 7:00am

I wake up with super painful contractions that were a heck of a lot worse than my normal braxton hicks ones I'd been having almost constantly. Hubs was still asleep and I thought to myself "hmmm.. maybe I should be timing these like  most people tend to do.." So I started to text myself each time (love this because I still have the text to myself with the times!) and they hit 3-4 minutes apart for an hour. At 8am I got up to go to the bathroom and trickled a litttle water... I googled, once I got back to bed, if your water could break 'non-dramatically' and of course it said YES- that it isn't always like hollywood with a huge gush. I got up again to go pee and guess what? CUE HOLLYWOOD! GUSH! I yelled "It's showtime!" and woke up hubs. He jumps up as I'm frantically yelling that it won't stop and it's NOT pee as he rushes to get a towel. I remember laughing for some reason and Seth yelling "Stop making me laugh clown!" (haha the scene was hilarious)

I waited for it to ease up as I was crouched over the side of the bed - so pretty - and hubby rushed to get dressed and grab the bags. I swear he was ready and at the door in 10 minutes while I'm nonchalantly walking around, plugging in my hair straightener and on some weird blissful high of make-up, etc. We finally, about 20 minutes later, call the doctor, my parents and his parents and head for the car. LADIES - remember to bring a towel OR TWO with you in the vehicle because each contraction brings on MORE fluid! (note taken for next time!) We were so excited and couldn't believe that our little girl was making her debut 3 weeks early. In my heart I knew I'd be early but never thought it would be the beginning of April. I was just happy my water had broken at home - since the hospital is about an hour away we didn't want to be those unfortunate people that get all the way there and have a false alarm.

We checked in around 10:30am and I was at 3 centimeters. The contractions were so intense that I barely had time to breathe and quickly hit a 5 in no time. I wanted, for my entire life, to follow my birth plan and do a natural birth but the contractions had their own plan and I was having no down time. The nurses even stepped in, asking about my pain level and pointing to the chart of my 'off the scale' contractions, before I started to contemplate not following my birth plan. I mean vomit in hair almost dead kind of feeling- ugh I caved... and through hysterical tears and some stupid fear of being judged, I got the epidural. I cried so hard I didn't even feel the numbing process as hubby assured me that everything would be ok... best decision of my life I have to admit. I could interact with my family and husband and I knew what was going on around me enough to write this story! 

I remember the Masters being on all day and mingling with my family and being so anxious that our family of 2 would soon forever be a family of 3. I didn't have my actual doctor that day but another doc that was on call and we loved him! His SUPER dry sense of humor and no-care attitude was actually just what I needed and the nurses assured me that he was fantastic and would get down to business when the time came. Speaking of nurses, I HATE that my nurses gifts were not completed because they were simply PHENOMENAL! Nurses really truly do almost everything before the doc comes in last minute and takes all the credit. My nurses were sarcastic (just like me) and so hilarious that we were all cracking each other up every other minute with real talk and comparisons, etc. (and we bonded so much that we're now friends on facebook and keep in touch!)

4pm rolls around and they check me again and I had hit a 9. The nurses looked at us and said "We'll have a baby girl in less than hour, we're getting the doctor." It was such a whirlwind of emotions that I lost my breath. We took so many pictures! I had only my husband, Mom and Sis in the room and the show was ready to start. I pushed for an hour and a half and at 6:04pm welcomed my biggest and greatest gift into this world. My daughter had arrived. I also know whole-heartedly that God had a plan for miss Anderson. He knew she needed to make her debut early because when she finally came out everyone in the room went into silent mode and there were no cries... I frantically asked why I didn't hear her and no one would tell me anything. Hubs rushed over like a deer in headlights and after what seemed like forever we heard her shrill cries of life. The cord had been wrapped around baby girl's neck twice and she was blue- they quickly shot into serious mode and got her out so quickly, cleared her lungs and made sure she was alright. The hospital staff and doctor were truly amazing. I tear up just writing about this and I know this post does nothing to portray my emotions but I have never been so thankful in all of my life as I was when they finally brought that beautiful baby girl to me and placed her on my chest.

I have been...no...WE have been given the greatest blessing and my heart is so full that I find it hard to tell ya'll just how much you can love another human being. I will forever be her Mommy and our lives are forever changed for the better. Welcome to the world Miss Anderson Greer Otey! (Emma is still getting used to her little sis but is becoming more protective each day)

**Disclaimer: Real Talk at the bottom of this post - reader discretion advised




Literally on the way...bring a towel!


Goodbye swollen everything!













Ok- now we're going to get real. Are you ready? You probably will have a bowel movement on the delivery table. Yup, fact and the nurses will try not to tell you but my no filter self knew better and called them out every time they hauled something away and as they tried not to laugh at me (laughing at myself) I knew...Oh how I knew. Also, your husband, even if you previously agreed he wouldn't, will probably witness most of this birthing business. I am very short so even though he was holding my leg and closer to my upper body, he could see... no holding back...or in my case, no trying to hold your gown up to block his view (hahaha) The nurses will then offer up the use of a mirror so you can see what's going on - it's better to just say no to this. I had youtubed so many vaginal births by this point that I really didn't need to see my own but curiosity got the best of me and I said what the heck, haul it out. Ok, first of all it's scary to see such a huge round thing protruding but not yet out of your body down there and everything that seems like it should be INSIDE is creepily outside...just a warning. Also, while pushing it is best to keep your eyes closed (so they don't bulge out of your skull) and the mirror makes you want to keep them open so uhhh I nipped that mirror in the bud really quickly.

Tearing- it happened and ladies were you aware that one could rip UPWARDS?? Yea me either, no book told me to expect this! I ripped up and down and had 10 stitches but luckily it was only a 2nd degree tear and it ripped on its own since they were concerned with just getting her out at that point. (apparently tearing on your own heals faster than having to have an episiotomy)

Postpartum - Make friends with your nurses so that they stock you up on EVERYTHING. A lot if covered/paid for anyways by insurance but I took SO MANY extra ice pack pads and mesh undies home it wasn't even funny.  I even got home and ordered my own box of those ice pack pads which are seriously THE BEST THINGS EVER INVENTED! (order them here!) You will bleed- a lot! You will bleed through the 2 by 4 size padding they put on you (and even more every time you breastfeed and lets not mention how they come in ever few hours to "Roll" your stomach..ughh)The squirt bottle they give you is also your best friend since wiping is super scary and don't worry about going number 2- you can save that horrific experience for when you get to the privacy of your own home. (and ladies- yes it is scary as hell but stool softeners and fluids are a must and it will happen! Oh, and tucks pads!) The doc said 4-6 weeks before sexual activity or exercise and I laughed and said yea right buddy more like 8-10...

Breastfeeding- this is the most incredible bonding experience you will ever have with your child but I can completely see why it is not for everyone. It will take every ounce of patience you have but it does get easier! I am so thankful that it is going so well for us thus far but it definitely takes support from your partner, education and you and your little one learning from each other. Andi is eating every 2.5 hours during the day plus on demand feedings and she usually gives us 4 hour stretches at night! She's basically amazing! I'm sitting here nursing her now so I know there's so much I am leaving out but until next post i hope this will do!

If you have managed to read this far then thank you and sorry for this grammatically terrible ramble! I love and miss ya'll and promise I will get caught up soon. The letters, texts and e-mails (and even gifts!!) from some of my blogger bff's have been so incredible and mean SO much to us. I love staying up to date via instagram will continue to stalk yall  :)  Have a fabulous week- LOVE YA'LL!

 photo signature_zps6045ff3e.png

40 comments:

  1. Wow! So much information here, I am on overload!! I'm so glad that you are upfront and honest about everything though! It's good to know the "real" stuff that happens behind the scenes, in addition to the absolute CUTENESS that is Andi and how she arrived. I love all of the pictures of her, and you...and her with Seth. Oh my word! I'm so happy that you're happy and you guys are all doing well!
    Sending you lots of love...and cooling pads for your lady bits ;) hahah Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh your birth story is almost identical it to mine, down to every last tmi detail lol. Congratulations, she is so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been waiting for this post!!! So amazing that Andi came early and it's almost like your body knew she was in distress from the cord and needed to get that baby out! I loved the true facts at the bottom. Definitely will come back and read these closer to October! She's absolutely precious and I'm so glad everything worked out for you three!!
    Ally - Life as I know it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful story; thanks for sharing! So glad to hear that breastfeeding is going well and that you are loving those bonding moments! Welcome Andi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love reading all these birth stories lately - I'm glad that everything went relatively well for you! I'm sure it was so scary when you didn't hear little miss cry right away, but thank goodness for modern medicine and the nurses and doctors who know how to handle that sort of thing with immediacy. I also appreciate your honesty at the end of your post ... not going to lie, reading some of that freaked me out for whenever we decide to start a family, but I suppose the end result is pretty darn worth it. She is an absolute doll - enjoy this special time together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh! This is amazing! Love love love everything about this story...you're so genuine and so real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girlfriend, I am loving this post right now, and giving you a big "Amen!" to the whole darn thing! I had no idea that you went into labor just a day after I did - how funny that our girls just couldn't wait for our May 2 due dates? Can you believe we have three week olds already? Scary how time passes! Andi is just precious, and I could not be more happy for you!

    As far as all the postpartum goodness goes, well, I am glad to hear that you did not have to have an episiotomy. I have definitely heard that those are hard to recover from. With Caleb, I had a small two inch tear that ended up being 2nd degree and needed 3 stitches. This time, with Vivi, I had no tearing at all! So, hopefully when you guys have baby #2, your experience will be similar and there will be no tearing at all:) But oh, how I love the Tucks pads and water bottles. I tell all my new mama friends to make sure that they have both of those ready to go after birth. They are lifesavers! And epi foam as well. Did you have that? That stuff was amazing!

    Miss reading updates from you, but TOTALLY understand you wanting to step back and soak up these first few weeks with your sweet girl! Take your time, sweet friend. We will all be here when you decide to get back to a normal blogging schedule:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading little Andi's birth story! I loved how real you were...definitely several things I hadn't though about before! She is so so beautiful! Congratulations! I am loving all of the photos you are posting on Instagram. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOoooray for the birth story! YOWZA to the real talk, eeek, so much I didn't know, so thanks for being up front with us :)! Your birth announcement is GOOOOOOORGEOUS!!! And I love all your sweet pictures, Andi is beautiful. We will be here when you are ready to start blogging, but you just enjoy that lil baby girl! <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I had an episotomy with Walker and I got over it just fine; it was nothing horrible at all..and I am a wimp. So excited for y'all and your adventure into motherhood! :) Andi is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is pure perfection!! I'm so happy for you both and I'm so happy that you and baby are both healthy and doing well!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on a safe and healthy delivery of a perfect little girl! She's beyond precious and I can't wait to follow along and watch her grow! Xo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your sweet baby girl. I'm so glad she is healthy and okay! That real talk was something else, but definitely something I'd want to know before having a baby myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh an hour to the hospital!!?? You are amazing for dealing with the contractions for that long!! I remember every bump we hit in the 2 mile drive to our hospital was terrible. There is absolutely NO shame in getting the epidural my friend, it makes delivery so much more relaxing and enjoyable! Anderson is absolutely so precious, you did so good mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your sweet baby girl. She is so beautiful just like her momma.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations!! She's so beautiful and I love that you captured your birth story! And I can certainly relate to some of the TMI stuff - the unglamorous truth about giving birth! Enjoy every second with your sweet girl and thanks for popping in to share with us! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. congratulations!! she is absolutely beauuutiful!! and im so glad breastfeeding is going well! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing your story -- beauty and realness -- all of it! She is absolutely perfect and I'm so glad that she arrived healthy and that everything seems to be going so well for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a beautiful story - and so true! And YES to the birthing/postpartum stuff! My hospital actually made these homemade ice pack things with water-filled condoms (not kidding) to put down there and topped them with witch hazel pads - sweet relief!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved reading this, I was cracking up over the water breaking story haha. And I always appreciate the real talk! I'm nervous, I have passed out every single time I've had any type of procedure done, even having to have my blood drawn. I can't control it. So, I am pretty terrified at how I'm going to make it through child birth, but I know I WILL. I also know I will 100% have to have an epidural haha. I've told you this several times, but she is just gorgeous! What a precious little family you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved reading this! I am so very happy for you and Seth! Andi is an absolutely beautiful little girl :) I'm so glad for your candid, brutal honesty - I never knew you could tear UP either?! Looking forward to seeing more Instagram pics too :) xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your "real talk" haha it is so much better then reading a fluff story that you know is totally made up. The real stuff is what makes life so incredible!
    Enjoy every second with that sweet baby girl!! She is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so funny and I love the realness! I related so much to your story! Thank you for sharing! I love all your pics! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. You crack me up!!! Love the 'real talk' and I could just eat Andi up!!! Take all the time you need enjoying your sweet babe!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay!!! Thanks so much for sharing Andi's story!! I loved the real-ness and practical advise... I will certainly be referencing this when I get pregnant!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So Andi is perfect and so beautiful! Congratulations again :) I love how real this post was. I have been reading a ton of birth stories lately and yours was so legit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great birth story!! So glad Andi is alright and safe after the cord being wrapped around her neck! Thanks for being real too - it's good to have an idea of what's to come but not going to lie, it scared the crap out of me lol Hope you're enjoying these precious days with your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your little one! I really appreciate you sharing your story. I'm at the point where I want to know everything I can before delivery and this post is so helpful. I know you can only plan so much, but I love to be prepared. Your daughter is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations!!! Miss Andi is beautiful. I was in the delivery room when my sister had her first child and I got to witness all that goes on down there. I had a scheduled c-section so I got to skip all that fun.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am totally late to this party but girl your baby is the most beautiful sweetness I have ever seen!!!! Yes the nurses literally do everything till the exact second the doc comes in to delivery......it is very mind opening right? All of your disclaimers I am glad you shared because they are 100% correct. I always tell the mommies just say no to the mirror and tell your husband to focus on your face because there is a lot going on down there. You cracked me up I mean yes you have to have that hair and makeup done ;-) Congratulations to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Jessi, she is beautiful and perfect!!! Loved the real talk at the end of the post and will always remember to just say no to the mirror, haha! Glad to hear that everything is going well - so so so happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  32. As if I didn't love your blog enough before, now you talk about the real side of it! Don't get me wrong, I love all the sweet details about Miss Andi but no one ever post about the real stuff. The stuff everyone wants to know but doesn't want to ask. Thank you for sharing it all! I'm so thankful everyone is healthy and happy. She is absolutely perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. fabulous to know about the towel, and the other real talk haha. i am not gonna lie, i am terrified of pregnancy and labor, even more so now! tearing? ouch!! and oh my gosh, poor Andi with the cord around her neck, thank goodness she came early and was alright!! She is absolutely precious.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love Your story....AND. The real talk.....even though...wowza! Regardless, I'm so happy for your sweet and healthy baby. Can't wait to follow your journey as a new mommy! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm in tears of joy and absolutely over the moon for you, dear friend!!! I've been trying so hard not to "bug" you during this busy, exciting, beautiful, incredible season of life ...buuut have been waiting on the edge of my seat to hear the details and see Andi's beautiful face!! She is perfection!!! Praising God that she was born right when she was meant to be, that you had such great hospital staff took such phenomenal care of you Otey girls, and that she was put onto her loving mother's chest full of life and greatly loved! Love to you to pieces, sweet mama!! I will continue to pray for you and lit'l Miss Andi!! *HUGE Congratulatory Hugs attached here!* Xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love how real you are - I remember all of that much too well, mama! So happy for you guys & loved reading your story! Andi Is beautful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love birth stories. She is So, SO, beautiful. Congratulations!! I love all of your "realness" talk at the end.. having been through it before it is all very true. I can't believe you had her that early! (lucky!-ha!) I LOVED our nurses with Capri and always said I was going to deliver them something and never did. I should probably plan something for this time. Enjoy your little cutie and your first Mother's Day this weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. I can't even imagine how special and memory-filled these past few weeks have been for you. What a beautiful story, I'm so happy you and your sweet, little girl are doing well! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh girl I love you! Your honesty just kills me! Lol. I love Andi's birth story! And I'm so glad she made her appearance early due to that umbilical cord around her neck! She's a beautiful little girl just like her mamma!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yay for having your sweet baby girl home! She is beautiful! And the mirror...? no thank you!
    xo Southern Style

    ReplyDelete