Friday, February 20, 2015

Friday 5

WHAT A WEEK! I am so glad its over and ready to r-e-l-a-x. First of all though I really shouldn't complain since we had a full sow day and a delay but all of these new doctor appointments still made the week hectic. First, I bundled 2 of the out of town appointments so that I would only need to take Wednesday off and the Endocrinologist tried to cancel when I was 4 miles away bc of the weather! UM NO - needless to say I still went and was the only one they saw that day (haha thank you lady!)

I want to thank ya'll again for your support and information this week and dedicate this Friday 5 to how things are going as well as what I'm learning. Linking up today with the usual gang of Christina, April, Darci, Natasha , Amanda over at Meet @ the Barre and Karli with September Farm. for Friday 5 and Friday Favorites - join in if you haven't already and have a great weekend!

















The Endocrine doctor and Nutritionist were extremely informative and helpful- this is so controllable with a more restrictive (but still yummy) diet and exercise, while checking your levels at home. They went over with me how to use the glucometer at home and I am pricking my finger to test my levels 4 times a day. (When I first wake up, 2 hours after breakfast, 2 hours after lunch and then 2 hours after dinner) Below is my log sheet, notebook and handy-dandy meter kit.










Meal planning really isn't as bad as I thought- yes I miss my icee, candy and sweets like nobody's business and it's weird not just grabbing something you're craving and eating it but you can make it work. The first thing I googled was what sweets I could get away with (hahaha) You're basically reducing/counting carbs and sugar versus changing entire diet. Also, I'm down 3 pounds in the third trimester....who can say that? (Doctor said it is totally normal and won't be bad for Andi. My body is just adjusting to less sugary foods) Here is an example of some of my meal planning so far:

Sorry for my scribbles


And here are some easier ways to see what is ok and what raises your blood sugar- charts are my best friend lately! All about portion control!











Overall yesterday and today my logs and levels have been RIGHT ON POINT it is incredible what a little diet change and motivation can do when you're dealing with 2 lives instead of just your own! If I keep things going this way then I won't have to go to next week's appointment so wish me luck! Each week I fax my log the day before an appointment and if all the levels are below goal - I'm in the clear! First test should be below 95 and every other below 120. As of right now I'm staying far below each goal and I'm very happy about it!

My log as of mid-day yesterday




 photo signature_zps6045ff3e.png

35 comments:

  1. I love this update because you have been on my heart so much this week! Thanks for keeping us in the loop, darling! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see that things are going better and feeling more in control. I knew once you got the information, you'd be set, but I also know that until that happens, it's scary. So so happy that things are on a good path! Love you tons and so happy little Andi is doing ok in there too! Sending you lots of love and warm hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super informative! I really had no idea what gestational diabetes entailed, so this is a bit of an eye opener. I'm so glad that you're minor diet changes already are making a big difference - I hope it stays that way for you, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m happy to see that you’re on the upswing and looks like you are on a great path! It’s nice that you just had to change a couple little things and are doing much better. Happy your happy about reaching your goals, hoping you get to skip that appointment next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you are adjusting well and fully taking control! Such a good mama to your little Andi already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear that things are going well and you sound positive about everything!! Just think, you'll be well on your way to getting back in shape after baby with your diet changes!! I know that's not the important thing right now, but it is an added bonus. So happy that things are looking up lady! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear that you have things under control!! I'm sure little miss beyond appreciates what you are doing for her already! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you've had a better week and seemed to have figured a lot out the past couple days! Yay for keeping your numbers low! Praying it continues to go well! And girl, I'd be a nervous wreck if I had to prick my finger 4 times a day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad that things have been better this week! you got this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you have things under control and you have such a positive attitude. Sweet baby Andi will be here before u know it.have a great wknd! Try to stay warm! Lol hugs;

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're keeping such a positive attitude...that's awesome! Very proud of you! And way to go with keeping it in check! You're doing great, Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to have such a positive attitude about it all!! That's half the battle with most things! I'm so glad things are going good though & it's not as hard as you thought it would be!! Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to see that you have things under control. Great job and thanks for explaining it so well. My friend had it during her pregnancy and really struggled with keeping it under control.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh girl - I must have missed that post, but so glad you are getting this all under control! I am a health freak, so love posts like this (even though wish it wasn't under these circumstances) - way to get healthy for you and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post was so interesting! I am so glad that things are going well so far, and it looks like you definitely have it under control!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You go on with your bad self, mama. Great great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely an interesting post! So much self control for sure! Cheers to Friday!
    xo Southern Style

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are doing great! Thank you for sharing your journey and all the knowledge you have picked up along the way. It's really interesting. I also think that the more people talk about it maybe it won't be so scary for the next person.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two of my very closest girlfriends (whose babies are only about 2 months older than Camille ... so we were pregnant at the same time) did end up with GD during pregnancy but they handled it beautifully -- like you will. You are already doing such a great job educating yourself about your balanced diet. So go on with your bad self, you are a rockstar mama!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've got this! Very informative and interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Girl, you're going to be just fine. Glad you are so informed and planning ahead. Baby girl will be so proud :) Have a wonderful weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry to hear about your gestational diabetes, but it looks like you're totally on top of it! Love that you're really putting an effort into learning how to deal with it! So funny that you researched sweets! I'd be doing the same!

    ReplyDelete
  23. so sorry about this but great job with everything! wishing you the best :) hope everything goes well- you are such a great mom ♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are handling this do well, shows what a great mama you will be!!!!! Hang in there lady! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Way to take the bull by the horns friend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are getting after it!!! I love your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  27. One of my friends had gestational diabetes, it's tough changing your lifestyle so quickly. But when you are dealing with 2 lives and that life is your baby...you just change and don't really even second guess it. :) You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad you are getting things under control! And thank goodness that doctor was able to see you -- I would have freaked too if they tried to cancel last minute! Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. So glad your sugar has been under control. My hubby has diabetes I know it's no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ahhh girl, I'm so sorry about the gestational DM, but glad to see that everything is being well controlled with diet and exercise so far. You're gonna be just fine and enjoy your weekend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. I should be taking my glucose test here pretty soon and Im nervous about it. Diabetes runs in my family, but hopefully I won't have gestational diabetes. I guess we'll see. Glad to read that youre so positive about it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Been thinking about you all week! I am so glad things are getting better! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks like we're on the same "diet" plan! I've gotten used to checking my levels, now it's a part of the everyday routine. I miss sweets and being able to eat as many cookies as I want...especially a sugary drink from Starbucks! Luckily it'll be over soon, glad to be reading about someone else going through this!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my goodness I am so behind and I just read this! AHHH! So I'm assuming this is the result of your glucose test?! I'm so sorry to hear! But I'm so glad that things are working well and your adjusting perfectly!!! Yay for being down 3lbs! Can someone help me out?! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I know it's still scary, but girl you got this. Glad you posted the info, we non prego ladies could use a different look at losing weight, right??! I love you and know you are going to ROCK IT!

    ReplyDelete